Admin

OCPS's 1920s and Beyond

1920s and Beyond

Principal R.G. Pitman and students in front of the new Ocoee High School in 1925The 1920s were boom years for OCPS, as dozens of bond issues were released to build new schools.By 1930, the school system was made up of 55 schools. However, during the Great Depression, the district struggled to repay the loans and keep school facilities open. To make matters worse, the population kept growing. About 20,000 moved into Orange County by 1940 and classrooms began overflowing with students.

The Federal Emergency Relief Act, provided much-needed capital to build a number of new schools and improve others. As a result, the district hired its first supervisor of maintenance in 1935.

This period also saw the introduction of the first fleet of all-steel school buses purchased by the district. The vehicles were painted orange and were clearly marked “Orange County Schools.” The district hired a mechanic and opened a garage facility in 1936.

About this time, schools were starting to request the use of school buses to transport students for field trips and athletic events.
Schools throughout the county added athletic coaches to teaching staffs in the early 1920s. Professor Jack Reid joined the Ociee High staff in 1925 and led the boys' basketball team to several championships.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.